Come see how butcher block counter tops can invite heat and performance into your property. With correct care, they could be a stunning addition to your property for years to return.
You is likely to be contemplating them, however questioning in the event that they’re a good suggestion. Are they secure for meals? Will they maintain as much as water?
Butcher block counter tops can do all of it, including a wealthy, elegant wooden tone for atmosphere and basic model. Study extra on this full information!
You realize me, I like to make properties really feel heat and comfy, and butcher block is an ideal option to do it! In our just lately completed basement bar, we determined so as to add heat and a gentle, mild end with these stunning counter tops.
Butcher block isn’t only for one design aesthetic, both. Sure, it matches with conventional and farmhouse model. However even trendy model can use the heat of wooden and nonetheless really feel glossy.
We additionally talk about different supplies, together with laminate, stable floor, and concrete on this publish about types of countertop edges.
Use the drop down Desk of Contents menu to navigate this publish, and don’t overlook to pin it and save for later!
What Is Butcher Block?
Butcher block, additionally referred to as butcher’s block, is a wooden floor that’s made from slim strips of wooden glued collectively and sanded to create one thick, clean slab. It’s a sturdy countertop materials, in addition to a gorgeous one.
Usually when individuals confer with wooden counter tops, they’re actually speaking about butcher block. Many wooden counter tops are maple, though oak, walnut, cherry, hickory, and teak are different standard choices.
You possibly can stain butcher block counter tops to any coloration you want, or you possibly can merely seal them their pure coloration.
Continuously Requested Questions
No, scorching pots and pans can burn wooden counters and even trigger it to crack. It’s finest to make use of a trivet or scorching pad to guard the floor from warmth.
Butcher block counters are sanitary as soon as they’re correctly sealed. If left unsealed, they may take up germs and micro organism and might be unsafe for meals preparation. Correctly sealed, they’re completely secure and sanitary for meals prep. They do have to be resealed often.
Butcher block might be created from maple, oak, cherry, hickory, teak, bamboo, at extra. At a considerably greater price, you possibly can pay a craftsman to make butcherblock from just about any wooden.
Butcher block is an reasonably priced countertop possibility, with the counter tops themselves starting from $23-$60 per sq. foot. Set up, after all, might be a further charge.
Professionals and Cons of Butcher Block Counter tops
- Provides heat – The wooden tones of butcher block add a comfy look to any house.
- Simple to customise – Select the kind of wooden, coloration, and end you need.
- May be refinished – You possibly can sand down your end and alter your stain coloration to match your new design.
- Low price – In comparison with different countertop choices, butcher block prices much less per sq. foot.
- DIY set up – Skilled DIYers can set up wooden counter tops themselves. Professional set up additionally prices lower than different alternate options.
- Simple to scrub – Each day cleansing is simple with a moist clear and dish cleaning soap. It doesn’t require any fancy or costly cleaners.
- Lengthy lifespan – With correct care, butcher block counters can last as long as 20 years. Laminate counter tops sometimes have to be changed between 10 and 15 years.
- Not waterproof – Butcher block may be very delicate to water. They are often put in round a sink if they’re sealed very properly, re-sealed month-to-month, and dried immediately once they turn out to be moist. Butcher block counter tops can are not advisable for bogs due to the publicity to moisture.
- Dent simply – Wooden is of course gentle, so it isn’t a shock that butcher block counter tops can turn out to be dinged, dented, and scratched. Embrace this look, and remember to use a slicing board when utilizing a knife.
- Can burn – The identical tip applies when dealing with scorching pots and pans. They will burn and even crack wooden counters, so it’s finest to make use of a trivet or scorching pad beneath to guard the floor.
- Can broaden and contract – Identical to wood flooring, butcher block can broaden in heat temperatures and contract when it’s cool. In excessive temperatures, they will warp and even crack.
The place to Use Butcher Block Counter tops
Whereas it isn’t advisable to be used in bogs as a result of it isn’t probably the most moisture-resistant possibility, there are such a lot of methods to make use of butcher block.
Butcher Block Stain
How do you end them? You possibly can stain them, seal with polyurethane, select a matte or shiny end, or just situation with mineral oil.
Ending with mineral oil requires probably the most repairs, because you’ll must reapply month-to-month because the wooden dries out. Nonetheless, it’s additionally the simplest to do, because you don’t must sand something right down to refinish the floor.
Ultimately, it comes right down to what you need, how you propose to make use of your floor, and the way a lot work you’re keen to place into sustaining your counter tops.
Should you’ll be staining, keep in mind to pattern a small part first, as a result of woods deal with stains and colours in another way. See our favourite stain and sealant possibility within the sources part on the finish of this publish.
Tips on how to Preserve Wooden Counter tops
Butcher block has a popularity for being excessive upkeep – don’t let that deter you. With the correct care, your butcher block counter tops can keep stunning for years to return.
Each day Care
- Wooden is absorbent and may stain, so it’s essential to handle small mishaps in a well timed method.
- You need to use a nylon scraper to calmly scrape the floor free from something that has dried in place. To wipe the floor, use a material dampened with water and gentle dishwashing cleaning soap.
- Bear in mind to by no means saturate wooden counter tops with water. In the event that they do turn out to be overly moist, be sure to dry them utterly as quickly as potential.
- For recent stains, strive sprinkling them with baking soda. Rub it in then depart it to soak up the stain for a couple of minutes. Dampen a material or sponge with gentle dish cleaning soap or undiluted vinegar, and use it to clean on the stain.
- Or, sprinkle some coarse salt on the stain, then rub it with half a lemon. The stain might disappear utterly, but when it doesn’t you possibly can depart it for a few days, then strive going over it with dish cleaning soap or vinegar.
Butcher block can be sanded calmly with a high-grit sandpaper to take away stains.
Let’s communicate! Obtain unique content material, together with never-seen-before pictures, our favourite house decor DIYs and extra!